Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend Wrapup

Did you know that the Oklahoma Sooners have lost four straight BCS games? It's true. And I promise that if you have been living under a rock and haven't heard that, you will about 1 trillion times before January 8th. You see, that's when the Sooners take on the Florida Gators in the BCS national championship game. The Sooners will be going for national title number 8. Sadly, Texas made it to neither the Big 12 championship nor the BCS title game. Sucks to be them.

In Thunder news, the boys lost two in their Florida swing. Friday night was a loss to the Magic and Saturday a loss to the Heat.

I missed the Saturday night game because I was in Kansas City watching the Sooners pick up Big 12 Championship number six. The score looked competitive and by all accounts it was, but a loss is a loss. According to reports, the Thunder had their chances late but went cold shooting the ball and the Heat pulled away down the stretch.

I did watch the game against the Magic on Friday. For first time watching a Thunder game I didn't have that feeling of dread where I was just waiting for the next bad thing to happen. Usually I have this feeling, something bad happens, then I have the feeling again and it gets worse. Next thing you know the Thunder are down 10 in the 1st quarter and 25-30 in 4th. Not so in this game. The Thunder played great. In the 3rd quarter I told my best girl I didn't care if the Thunder won or lost because they were playing great basketball and if they lost it just meant the Magic played better. Well, the Magic wound up just being better. But, they had to make nearly 20 3-pointers to do it.

When the Magic were in the Ford Center a few weeks back it was an absolute laugher. It literally looked like the Dwight Howard show and I said in a post afterwards that it was the most fun home atmosphere to that point because the outcome was never in doubt. People could just enjoy themselves. The Magic had to have been surprised at how markedly different this one played out.

Friday I mentioned how ESPN is now keeping a running account of how bad the Thunder are. It appears The Oklahoman is piling on with this article.

The Thunder really have a chance of winning tonight. They've been playing well, it's at home and really the Warriors give no real cause for concern. They score a ton but give up even more. They have no one that's really scary. Really, their franchise is in far more disarray than the Thunder. So, I'm feeling a win. Hopefully it comes to pass the way those feelings of dread used to.