Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fans a Farce? Damn That's Harsh

Perhaps my blood sugar was a little low yesterday when I said the idea of Thunder fans being the best in the NBA was a farce. I don't completely take it back because I do believe it's just a little premature to wear the crown and it is BS to leave, of all sporting events, a basketball game early when the outcome is far from determined.

Nonetheless I would love to one day be able to say that Oklahoma City has, without a doubt, the best fans in the NBA. And, perhaps it takes less time to get there than I thought. I offer the following quote from this ESPN Fantasy Blog as proof.

"With only three games to track Monday night, I had the luxury of being able to watch a large portion of every contest. And while the marquee match up in NBA terms was easily Jazz-Suns (more on that in a bit), I was particularly interested in one squad: the Oklahoma City Thunder.
I enjoy watching their home games because of their enthusiastic fans, who seem to have an absurdly enormous tolerance for pain. Thunder fans can absorb an enormous amount of punishment, yet vociferously applaud even the most marginally positive development. I don't have these numbers, but I bet the divorce rate in that area is fantastically low."

While it may qualify for "Backhanded Compliment of the Month" I will take it as a compliment. Doing so probably proves the point about tolerance for pain since this is one of the nicest things I've read about the Thunder from the national media so far this season (this is one typical and recent example). Regrettably, he couldn't be more wrong about the divorce rate.

Just think of what we're capable of if we win?

Speaking of, tonight one team will walk out of the Thunderdome with, drum roll please, win number 2 on the season (cue one of those party-favor-sized-confetti-poppers going off). This is like a couple of pups fighting over the hind-teat. It's sure to be fun and hotly contested. But in the grand scheme of the NBA it will probably be more comical and sad than anything.

No matter, I'll be there vociferously applauding the most marginal of developments.